Not a lot of blogging lately – not because there’s nothing to talk about, but because I’m up to my eyeballs in resumes and recruiting. (If you can code, and you understand web data, get in touch!)
Regarding Yahoo!’s purchase of Flickr – some random thoughts:
- I suspect Flickr will influence Y! more than the other way ’round.
- Tagging (aka folksonomies) will show up in other places on Y!.
- We (SDS) need a strategy for figuring out how to analyze/report on tags (perhaps with similar technology that’s used to power the the buzz index).
- Tags are going to give Overture and Google a whole new set of opportunities and headaches for context advertising. On the surface, they look like they could be used like search terms, but in so many ways, they’re a lot different.
- I’m glad I had the foresight (or lack of imagination) to create a Flickr ID that’s the same as my Yahoo! ID.